Pest control services are essential in New Zealand & Australia, countries with a unique natural environment that is home to a number of threatened native species. We also want to protect our homes and commercial premises, in order to create environments that are safe and hygienic. If you’re looking for information on pest control, you’ve come to the right place.
Do pests actually cause any damage?
Pests can cause physical damage to buildings, goods and machinery. Often, by the time you notice a problem the damage has already occurred. For this reason, it can be beneficial to call on the services of a professional pest control expert, who can identify existing problems and assess potential risks. Once this is done, a routine maintenance check is a good way to make sure you know about a problem before it has caused costly and inconvenient damage to your property.
What kind of pests could be lurking in my home or business?
Some of the most common types of pests in are:
- Rodents: rats and mice cause contamination of food and work areas with urine, droppings and hair. They also cause damage by chewing through cables, wiring, timber and other materials. Solutions include baiting, trapping and rodent proofing products.
- Insects: creepy crawlies such as silverfish, spider beetles, carpet beetles, larder beetles and booklice can contaminate food and other items on your property. It’s important that these pests are correctly identified in order to be managed. Solutions for eradication include baiting, trapping, insect proofing, spraying, fogging and misting.
- Cockroaches: several species of cockroach are found in New Zealand. The most common culprits infesting homes, commercial kitchens and hospitals are the Oriental, German and American varieties. Cockroaches love warm, moist conditions and can quickly become a large infestation.
- Birds: birds can become a pest for factories, warehouses, the horticultural industry and residential properties. Species which are a problem in New Zealand include magpies, sparrows and starlings, when present in large numbers. Solutions include bird proofing, bird removal, baiting and bird repellants.
- Flies: flies are a pest for many in the summer months, particularly in areas where food is made, prepared or stored. They cause contamination and reduced hygiene in these areas. Species include houseflies, blowflies, fruit flies, mosquitoes and midges. Solutions include external and internal surface treatment, fly proofing and fly traps.
- Wasps: wasps are an issue in areas in which food is produced, stored and consumed, as with flies and other flying insects. Wasps are especially pesky, as they have a venomous sting and can form large colonies containing many thousands of wasps. It is dangerous for inexperienced people to deal with a nest unassisted.
- Spiders: most spiders do not pose a threat to you in your home or business – in fact, they are integral in controlling other pests, such as flies. However, biting and venomous spiders can threaten the health of people and animals. Solutions can be combined with treatment for flies and flying insects, usually involving treatment of the building exterior, interior roof voids and interior.
- Ants: ants are social creatures and can be present in colonies of tens of thousands and are often found in areas where food is stored or left uncovered. In order to be controlled, the nest must be located. An effective solution is destroying the nest directly or with baits which are carried back to the nest and fed to the rest of the ant colony.
- Borer: sometimes known as Bora or Woodworm, this pest can cause great damage to timber structures. During the larval stage, the beetles eat through the interior of wood until they emerge through an easily visible hole in the wood, emerging as an adult to mate and begin the cycle again. Any untreated timber is a possible target. To deal with borer, an insecticide is used to kill the insect as it emerges; this will prevent re-infestation for up to ten years.
- Parasitic Insects: fleas commonly strike in the family home. The species most often found are the Cat Flea, the Bird Flea and the Dog flea. As well as treatments for your pet, there are carpet cleaning treatments which deal to fleas and other nasties.