Looking for some budget options to give your kitchen a makeover? Here are the top 5 things you can do to make your good old kitchen look fresh –
01. New paint
One of the basic and easiest ideas is to re-paint your kitchen and give it a fresh new shade. Sandpaper, paint brushes, rollers, few tins of primer and paint is all the investment that you need. That’s all for a fresh new look and revamped kitchen.
Tip: Some of the most favoured colours for the kitchen are white, grey, blue, red, yellow, and green. Each of these colours has their own significance and carries some aesthetic value with them
- Red - Warmer colours such as red are believed to stimulate the appetite and are an excellent option for kitchens.
- White - White can really energize a room. It adds a fresh, clean and pure look to the kitchen thus making it more welcoming the moment you step it from your morning tea till supper.
- Grey - Though cold, grey is a very versatile which can pair beautifully with a wide array of other colours and is the perfect base to build upon in a kitchen. It also works well as a countertop or cabinet colour.
- Blue - A cool colour which creates a crisp, clean look and is recommended for walls, cabinets, or even the ceiling.
- Yellow - Also believed to make people hungry, yellow has a soothing quality and will instantly make people feel calm and happy in your kitchen.
- Green - Green is also a smart shade to use in the kitchen. There are many different shades to choose from including mint and apple green, which pair nicely with white and wood accents.
02. New lighting
It’s not just about the newer look but a brighter feeling. The correct amount of illumination enhances the vibrancy of your kitchen and even makes it look bigger. You may consider plating with some task lighting, accent and decorative lighting.
Tip: Experts suggest considering the following aspects of lighting –
- Color temperature - Look for a bulb that is 2700 to 3000 Kelvin. This would match the colour temperature of incandescent lamping and it will blend well with the rest of your residential environment.
- CRI rating. Color rendering index (CRI) is important because it is how colour is interpreted. In other words, a low CRI light looks greyer. The higher the CRI, the better you will see the colours rendered.
- Energy Star. This certification ensures that the light bulb went through longevity testing and has a minimum of 80 CRI.
03. Flooring upgrade
The kitchen floor is subjected to a lot of wear and tear which can make it look really bad and worn out after a couple of years. This is one aspect of your kitchen upgrade plan that needs some serious consideration.
New flooring can give your kitchen a brand new look. Be it a warm and traditional look from hardwoods or a polished vibe with natural stone, such as marble or travertine. Laminate is also coming up as a preferable choice for modern homeowners. It looks like wood, in many cases it is more durable than wood. Best of all it is considerably cheaper than a hardwood flooring.
For a more economical option, there are a lot of DIY ideas for revamping the kitchen floor with easy to procure materials.
04. Update Hardware
Another idea that goes easy on your pocket is to replace your cabinet’s hardware like kitchen handles and cabinet handles with a more trendy option. Based on your taste you may go for some contemporary choice like satin, crystal glass and chrome or add some vintage flavour with porcelain, copper, or matte nickel.
This quick and easy change can make dated kitchen cupboard handles look new.
Tip: To ensure that new pulls and knobs match the existing holes, remove one of each type and take them with you while shopping for new ones.
05. Kitchen wallpapers
Wallpaper for the kitchen is an awesome decor idea given the limited amount of space left on the wall after all the cabinet works. Wallpapers add to the splash of the kitchen and also makes it looks more colourful and vibrant. From happy prints to inspire your creativity to clean textures to revamp your walls, the right wallpaper will make the room splendid.
From floral to geometric, abstract to vintage art the choice is unlimited. Chose a colour that goes with the rest of the theme of your kitchen and sees the entire set up revamped.